Tuesday, August 18, 2015

I Can't Cook

Sunday I was all gung-ho to make another recipe from the FIXATE cookbook. I was obsessed with this cake.  I kept looking at it ever since I got the cookbook.  BUT in my head I was thinking "that is a lot of ingredients and a lot of directions".  It looked so darn good, I just had to.  I had to finally make it.  That is when things got ugly.

The ingredients are listed all together for the cake and then the icing.  I did not pay very close attention to this part.  When it says "divided use", I jumped the gun.  I started to just measure and go for it.  Then I would get to the next step and realize I jacked it all up.  )(%@#%@#  My husband is good at math, so helped me back track and add one half more to everything.    SO, I finally figured it out, had two cakes instead of one. The mess was HUGE, and to top it off, I spilled my husband's orange juice ALL OVER EVERYTHING.  Sticky = messy = pi$$ed.  BUT, hey, the cake was delicious!  Downside was I waited to eat too long that day and had one of the worst binge eating sessions I had in a long time. I think I ate 4 pieces of cake (after the food I had eaten before). So, a fiasco, BUT I do recommend the cake!  Let me know if you make it, what you think, and if you had a better experience than I did!

 
Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Frosting 
for you Fixers, serves 12 2 yellow and 1/5 blue

Nonstick cooking spray
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
2 tsp baking powder, gluten free
1/4 sea salt (or Himalayan)
3/4 cup unsalted organic grass fed butter, DIVIDED USE
1 cup raw honey (or maple syrup) DIVIDED USE
4 large eggs
1/4 cup + 3 TBSP unsweetened almond milk DIVIDED USE
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup organic unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted

1. preheat oven to 350
2. Coat a 9 inch round baking pan with spray
3. Combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt in a med bowl. Set aside.
4. Cream together 1/2 cup butter and 3/4 cup honey in a med mixing bowl, beat on medium speed for one minute.
5. Add eggs one at a time, beat until blended.
6. Add 1/4 cup almond milk and extract; beat until blended.
7. Add almond flour mixture to butter mixture; beat until creamy
8. Pour batter into prepared pan
9. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Cool
10.  Whip REMAINING 1/4 cup butter in a med bowl, beat on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes, or until creamy.
11. Add remaining 3 TBSP almond milk to butter; beat until well blended.
12 Add cocoa powder, beat until well blended, scarping bowl occasionally.
13 Slowly add REMAINING 1/4 cup honey while beating on med speed.
14. Once cake is cool, evenly spread with frosting.  Cut into slices  (don't eat the entire cake like me!)


No comments :

Post a Comment